VCU Trademarks & Licensing

Get Licensed

Any manufacturer creating merchandise/products (apparel, bags, writing utensils, mugs, etc.) bearing any of Virginia Commonwealth University's trademarks, whether for on-campus departments or organizations, or for third party vendors to sell in stores for resale or general distribution, must be a VCU licensed vendor and go through an approval process before placing the University's trademarks on any merchandise/product.

How to Become Licensed

Before an individual or business may produce products bearing Virginia Commonwealth University's marks, formal permission must be granted with a license agreement through CLC. They are responsible for processing license applications, coordinating artwork approvals, collecting royalty payments and enforcing the university's trademarks. Once a license application is submitted to CLC, VCU's Office of Trademarks & Licensing will review for approval. Licensed manufacturers are required to pay a royalty fee. There are several types of licensing agreements to accommodate different licensee needs.

Interested in knowing more about the timeline and costs of gaining a license? Click here.

Ready to apply for your license? Click here.

CLC issues the following licenses. For questions or applications please contact CLC.

Internal Campus Supplier License:

An Internal Campus Supplier License is available to companies that wish to produce merchandise for internal campus departments and registered student organizations for internal consumption only. Internal Campus Suppliers cannot sell to any entity, internal or external, if the product will be resold and/or used for gift with purchase or fundraising. 

Local License:

A Local License is available to companies that desire to obtain a license with an institution located in their immediate in-state marketplace. A company may only apply for three institutions or less with the initial application, but can ultimately become licensed for up to five institutions within the same state as their business location. 

Standard License:

A Standard License is available to companies that wish to manufacture collegiate products for six or more institutions. This is typically reserved for larger manufacturers with well-established production, distribution, and marketing capabilities. 
Licensed Vendors must adhere to VCU's Brand Standards. Trademarked VCU logos and wordmarks are available to all licensed vendors through the VCU Art Sheet with CLC.

Crafter Program:

A crafter is defined as individual producing domestic handcrafted items in the home with collegiate marks, and selling/distributing to individual consumers via events or direct sales. This might include events organized by church, school, county, state, craft, holiday, Junior League, street festivals, gift marts, or flea markets.

This license allows a Crafter to sell to individual consumers only. Sales of items on a wholesale basis to a third party are not permitted. All items must be hand-made. No commercially manufactured items are allowed.

If anticipated sales will exceed 500 units or sales revenue of more than $2,500 in one year, please refer to CLC for more information on the Local or Standard Licenses available through the University’s licensing agent, CLC.

An Officially Licensed Collegiate Craft label will be required to be affixed to all products.