VCU Trademarks & Licensing

Applying for a License

IMG College Licensing is the licensing representative for Virginia Commonwealth University.  IMG College Licensing is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties and enforcing proper usage. For more information about click here.

Types of Licensing Agreements

VCU has several types of licensing agreements. The Trademarks & Licensing Office will aid individuals, companies, departments, and organizations in securing the proper agreement and forms. VCU’s agreements include:

Internal Campus Supplier

An Internal Campus Supplier License is available for companies that wish to produce merchandise for internal campus departments   and registered student organizations for internal consumption only. Internal Campus Suppliers cannot sell to any entity, internal or   external, if the product will be resold and/or used for gift with purchase or fundraising. 

Local License

A Local License is available to companies that desire to obtain a license with an institution located in their immediate in-state   marketplace. A company may only apply for three institutions or less with the initial application, but can ultimately become licensed for up to five institutions within the same state as their business location. Royalties are collected on local licensees.

Standard License

A Standard License is available to companies that wish to manufacture collegiate products for six or more institutions. This is typically reserved for larger manufacturers with well-established production, distribution, and marketing capabilities. Royalties are collected on standard licensees.

Licensed vendors must adhere to VCU’s Brand Standards. Trademarked VCU logos and wordmarks are available to all licensed vendors through the VCU Art Sheet with IMG College Licensing.

Crafter License

A crafter is defined as an individual producing domestic handcrafted items in the home with collegiate marks and selling/distributing to individual consumers via events or direct sales. This might include events organized by church, school, county, state, craft, holiday, Junior League, street festivals, gift marts or flea markets.

This license allows a crafter to sell to individual consumers only. Sales of items on a wholesale basis to a third party are not permitted. All items must be hand-made. No commercially manufactured items are allowed.

If anticipated sales will exceed 500 units or sales revenue of more than $2,500 in one year, please refer to for more information on the Local or Standard Licenses available through the university’s licensing agent, IMG College Licensing.

An Officially Licensed Collegiate Craft label will be required to be affixed to all products.