VCU Trademarks & Licensing


The CLC represents Virginia Commonwealth University and assists in the management of the University's licensing and trademark enforcement program.

CLC is responsible for:

  • Processing license applications
  • Coordinating artwork approvals
  • Collecting royalty payments
  • Protecting University trademarks
  • Developing the University's brand in merchandise
  • Enforcing the University's product and production standards

Manufacturers who wish to produce VCU merchandise must be licensed through CLC. Once a license application is submitted, the VCU Office of Trademarks & Licensing will review for approval.  The institution only licenses merchandise and services that promote the image of Virginia Commonwealth University and  VCU Health.

If a company would like information on becoming licensed, please contact CLC.

CLC Hologram Labeling

One of the most recognized licensed product authenticators in the licensing business is the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" (OLCP) label. It serves as a quality seal of approval in representing the authenticity of licensed products for CLC partners, including Virginia Commonwealth University. Standard and local licensees are required to order OLCP hologram labels or hangtags and affix them to all licensed items featuring the marks of the represented institutions. More information on the hologram-labeling program can be found at

Register a Trademark

A wordmark or logo can be registered through two different entities: statewide with the State Corporation Commission (SCC) or nationally and internationally with the United States Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO).

Steps to Registering a VCU Trademark

  1. Start the planning and request process early. It can take several months to a year for the process to be finalized.
  2. Review the Criteria for Registering a Trademark.
  3. Fill out the Request for Trademark Application.
  4. We will review your request and then submit it to the Vice President of Finance and Budget and the Vice President of University Relations for review and approval of the trademark.

Note: Approval to use the university’s brand does not constitute approval to use the brand again, including on renewals, without seeking additional approval.

Accessing VCU’s Protected Marks

VCU faculty, staff and students can access the university’s brand standards guide and download university marks on VCU Identity’s website. Licensed vendors have access to .eps files of all licensed university mark through CLC.


How can I tell if the product I am purchasing is a licensed product?

Always look for the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" label.

What does NOT need to be licensed?

Publications (including brochures, pamphlets, etc.), letterhead, business cards, posters, banners, advertisements or marks on University websites. These types of materials require approval from University Relations before production. Questions and approval for these uses should come from University Relations by contacting Exceptions to these procedures may be made with written permission from the VCU Office of Trademarks & Licensing.

What happens if a trademark is used without a license?

The institution is legally obligated to enforce its trademark ownership rights. The institution’s agent and the VCU Trademarks and Licensing staff conduct routine marketplace audits and work closely with local and state law enforcement organizations to shut down illegal uses. Our trademarks have been registered to prevent illegal entry of counterfeit products into the United States.

Do I need to use an official licensee?

If you are having a university logo or trademark applied to a product, it must be produced by an official licensee. Licensees are under contract and have agreed to use the marks as prescribed by the university.

How can I know who is currently licensed?

The list of Officially Licensed Vendors is updated on a quarterly basis. Click here for current lists.

How do I obtain a license?

For information concerning licensing and royalties please contact: 

1075 Peachtree Street, Suite 3300
Atlanta, GA 30309
Phone: 770.956.0520
Fax: 770.955.4491

I am a retailer of Officially Licensed VIRGINIA COMMONWEATH UNIVERSITY merchandise. Can you assist me in my merchandising efforts?

For information about the merchandising efforts, please contact Christy Rabil, Marketing, Trademarks & Licensing Manager for VCU Business Services at (804) 828-3615 or

Code of Conduct

In the past several years there have been issues surrounding fair labor practices which have affected collegiate licensing programs around the United States. CLC has collaborated with a focus group of collegiate institutions to develop a set of unified labor code standards.

The CLC code sets forth workplace standards for factories that produce university-licensed product to help ensure that licensees do not produce collegiate product utilizing child labor or sweat shop conditions. The code provides standards that cover various topics, including wages and benefits, working hours, child labor, health and safety, and freedom of association.  See CLC's Labor Code and Corporate Responsibility Standards for additional information.

Virginia Commonwealth University is a member of the  Worker Rights Consortium (WRC), an indepedant labor rights monitoring organization. More than 150 schools belong to WRC whose purpose is to assist in the enforcement of manufacturing Codes of Conduct adopted by colleges and universities.  See Worker Rights Consortium Model Code of Conduct for additional information.