VCU Trademarks & Licensing

Answers to the following frequently asked questions will provide a better understanding of the licensing program:

What is a trademark?

A trademark is a word, logo, letter, phrase, symbol, design, product configuration, or combination of these that is associated with its owner and can distinguish its owner from others.

What are VCU's key trademarks?

  • Virginia Commonwealth University®
VCU Rams ™
  • Rams ™
  • VCU Health ™
  • Havoc ™

Trademarked Logos

Who must be licensed?

Any person, business, or organization desiring to produce VCU's trademarks or verbiage on any product, for retail or non-retail, is required to obtain a license.

What merchandise must be licensed?

Merchandise is any product, including but not limited to apparel, uniforms, headwear, footwear, house wares, office supplies, food items, etc. Any merchandise that bears the trademarks of the University must be produced by a VCU licensed vendor. Most products will be considered for a license. However, the institution reserves the right to refuse a license to any person, organization, or business. The institution will not license products deemed to be inappropriate.

What does not need to be licensed?

Logos or trademarks used by University departments, schools and recognized student groups for official University business do not need to be licensed. For example: publications (including brochures, pamphlets, etc.), letterhead, business cards, posters, banners, advertisements or marks on University websites. 

These types of materials require approval from University Relations before production. Questions and approval for these uses should come from University Relations,

How can I tell if the product I am purchasing is a licensed product?

Always look for the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" label.

What happens if a trademark is used without a license?

The institution is legally obligated to enforce its trademark ownership rights. The institution's agent and the VCU Trademarks and Licensing staff conduct routine marketplace audits and work closely with local and state law enforcement organizations to shut down illegal uses. Our trademarks have been registered to prevent illegal entry of counterfeit products into the United States.

Do I need to use an official licensee?

If you are having a university logo or trademark applied to a product, it must be produced by an official licensee. Licensees are under contract and have agreed to use the marks as prescribed by the university.

How can I know who is currently licensed?

The list of Officially Licensed Vendors is updated on a quarterly basis. Click here for current lists.

How do I obtain a license?

For information concerning licensing and royalties please contact: 

The Collegiate Licensing Company

1075 Peachtree Street, Suite 3300

Atlanta, GA 30309

Phone: 770.956.0520

Fax: 770.955.4491

I am a retailer of Officially Licensed VIRGINIA COMMONWEATH UNIVERSITY merchandise. Can you assist me in my merchandising efforts?

For information about the merchandising efforts, please contact Christy Rabil, Marketing, Trademarks & Licensing Manager for VCU Business Services at (804) 828-3615 or